Title: Customer Support Engineer (System Administrator)
Reports To: Customer Support Manager
Mission: To provide technical support for all deployed systems to ensure maximum up-time for ID Systems customers.
Location: Ottawa / Gatineau
Canadian Bank Note Company Limited - Identification Systems, is seeking a highly proficient bilingual (English and French) Customer Support Engineer (System Administrator), who will be responsible for providing system support on a variety of hardware and software platforms and peripherals. Some domestic and international travel is required.
Roles and Responsibilities include:
- Reside at the customer site for extended periods of time to provide an initial point of contact and on-site support for the customer.
- Provide first, second and third line technical support to internal and external customers on site and remotely.
- Provide ongoing training for operators on system usage on site.
- Monitor, collect statistical information, and provide reporting on system performance.
- Based on statistics, make recommendations to improve system performance.
- Perform basic hardware repair of equipment (ex. Replace hard-disks, power supply, UPS Batteries, Printer maintenance).
- Perform diagnostics, testing, and troubleshooting of hardware, software, o/s and network issues (ex. correcting installation or configuration problems).
- Plan and perform hardware installation, configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair as necessary.
- Plan and perform software installation, configuration, upgrade and patching.
- Troubleshoot and resolve system issues including availability, security, stability or performance issues.
- Maintain system inventory including spare parts and consumables.
- Perform hardware Preventive Maintenance.
- Maintain effective and timely communication with the customer.
- Manage preparation of monthly Operational Status Reporting.
- Establish priorities with team and manage on-site and off-site work activities.
- Follow business and security procedures as communicated by CBN.
- Follow security and access procedures, guidelines and policies, as communicated by the customer.
- Provide 24x7 On-call Emergency on site and phone support as required.
- Provide first line technical phone support after hours on rotation basis.
- Work in shifts on rotation basis in between 6:30 AM and 11:00 PM.
- Post Secondary Education in computer science, computer engineering or related field
- Successful candidates must possess valid secret security clearance
- Applicants must possess excellent communication skills in both French and English (orally and in writing)
- Must be able to work in different shifts and on call
- Ability to travel on short notice
- Ability to drive
- Must have a valid driver.s license
- Qualified candidates must have at least 5years of experience in providing technical support directly to end users, covering the following:
- Hardware: Desktop workstations and servers (standalone and blades), Tape Storage Devices (internal/external), RAID, Scanners, Commercial Inkjet and LaserJet printers, Hardware automation
- Software and o/s: Windows Workstation, Windows server, Windows AD, VMware Infrastructure, Web Based Application Servers (Apache/Tomcat). Experience with Linux SuSE o/s is a plus.
- Basic Networking: LAN Support, TCP/IP networks, Switches, VPN, Firewalls (NIDS and HIDS) and understanding of Network Monitoring Systems
- SAN: understanding of Fiber Channel and iSCSI is a plus
- Understanding of Help Desk tools and trouble ticket tracking processes
- Understanding of support agreements and their implied service levels
- Understanding of NIDS and HIDS a plus
- Experience with scripting languages such as Perl and Python a plus
- Experience with Centralized AV Management a plus
- Experience with backup solution such as Data Protector, Backup Exec or similar a plus
- Experience with remote access administration software a plus
- Proven ability to write excellent technical documentation a plus
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and adapt to changing priorities
- Performing well under pressure
- Detail oriented approach
- Self motivated and action oriented
- Team player
- Creative problem solving skills
- Excellent conflict resolution skills
We thank all applicants for their interest in Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited. Due to the high volume of candidates that apply for our career opportunities, we can only respond to individuals that are selected for interviews.