Title: Network Administrator
Reporting to: System Administration Team Leader
Roles and Responsibilities:
Operation and Support
- Manage and address incoming customer service requests pertaining to network services.
- Conduct problem diagnosis, problem isolation, and problem resolution of network related support requests and incidents in accordance to assessed severity, service level agreements and turnaround targets.
- Monitor and troubleshoot network configuration, performance, availability, and security issues.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date system and network documentation and diagrams.
- Participate in Tier 3 support for all supported systems:
- Perform diagnostics, testing, and troubleshooting of hardware, software, o/s, network, and database issues (ex. correcting installation or configuration problems).
- Plan and perform hardware installation, configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair as necessary.
- Plan and perform software installation, configuration, upgrade and patching.
- Troubleshoot networking, system and storage issues, in many cases under very tight SLAs.
- Participate in Tier I and Tier II support after hours, during on call rotation.
- Use internal service desk ticketing system to track, resolve and escalate support incidents or service requests.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs, such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible security issues.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures.
- Coordinate and communicate with impacted clients.
- Apply firmware, software patches and upgrades on a regular basis.
- Upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Add and configure new and existing services following approved guidelines and deployment plans.
- Upgrade and configure ID Systems software and patches taking in consideration project and operational guidelines.
- Maintain configuration and operational documentation.
- Maintain system baseline following project requirements.
- Forecast and plan for scalability, performance and capacity requirements
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Create, modify and implement deployment plans.
- Design, plan, install, configure and document new and existing networking and server hardware, switches, routers, firewalls, hypervisors, operating systems, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- University Degree in Computer Systems, Engineering or an equivalent combination of Education and relevant Experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in network troubleshooting and management.
- Possesses strong knowledge and experience with network related hardware/software including: firewalls, managed switches, enterprise wireless solutions, Intrusion Detection/Prevention systems, and network sniffers/analyzers.
- Possesses knowledge and experience with routing, vlans, security design, network configuration and management best practices.
- Strong proficiency with isolating, troubleshooting, resolving and optimizing network performance and/or security issues.
- Layer 2 Switching . Experienced in design and implementation of VLANs, ISL & 802.1Q VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP), Spanning Tree Protocol (STP and FastSTP), Port Fast, Port Security, and Inter-VLAN Routing for multi-site LAN networks using HP and/or Cisco Switches; Experienced in configuration of H3C Intelligent Resilient Framework (IRF) or Cisco Virtual Switching System (VSS) for network redundancy and load-balancing.
- Layer 3 Routing . Experienced in IP Addressing and Subnetting in IPv4 and IPv6, Route Summarization and Redistribution, NAT/PAT and DHCP; Designed and implemented static and dynamic routing protocols, including OSPF, EIGRP, IGRP, and RIPv1 & 2, on Cisco or HP Routers; configured BGP and Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP).
- Firewalling . Experienced in Managing, monitoring and configuration of firewall appliances. Configured packet filtering using IP tables and/or complete packet inspection on *nix systems.
- Extensive knowledge and experience managing:
- HP, 3COM and/or Cisco Switches
- HP and/or Cisco Routers
- SSL and IPSEC VPN Appliances
- Network Monitoring Systems
- Flex Technology
- Experience in one or more of the following systems:
- iSCSI SAN technology
- Unified Threat Management Appliances
- Network Access Control
- Intrusion prevention Systems
- Virtualization Technology such as VDS or virtual firewalls
- HP Network Node Manager
- Understanding and operational experience with Disaster Recovery Planning and Business Continuity Planning
- Knowledge in Canadian Security Establishment ITSG standards (most specifically ITSG-22 and ITSG-38) is an asset.
- Demonstrable background of creating and maintaining key network documentation elements.
- Must possess excellent communication skills in English. French is an asset.
- Must possess (or able to obtain) a valid Canadian security clearance (secret).
- Industry certifications are definite asset, especially CCNA,CCNP, CCDP, CISSP, LPI ,ITIL, etc.
- Required to work at multiple sites.
- Participate 24x7 on call rotation.
- May be required to work evenings and weekends, sometimes without an advanced notice.
- Eligible to travel internationally to client sites, in some cases up to 3 weeks at a time.
- Essential and marginal functions may require moderate to light lifting and movement of heavy IT equipment.