Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
The Payroll Administrator is responsible for the accurate and timely delivery of payroll and related services, including recordkeeping and reporting for Canadian and growing US payrolls. He or she responds to internal and external inquiries and works closely with the Payroll Supervisor to investigate, troubleshoot and resolve payroll issues, processing systems and upgrades where necessary. The Payroll Administrator is also involved with records management, year-end payroll activities and partnering with the HR and Finance departments on reconciliations, payroll remittances and tax filings.
Education and Experience:
- 5 years payroll experience (manufacturing with rotating shift/unionized environment preferred)
- Obtained or working towards CPA.s Payroll Compliance Practitioner Certificate
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Must have prior experience in processing US payroll
- Strong knowledge of relevant legislation in such areas as income tax, employment standards, CPP, EI, WSIB and pay equity. Some knowledge of legislation pertaining to health care, immigration, labour relations, pension and benefits is also required.
- Deep knowledge of payroll best practices.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Strong computer skills including Office and payroll systems
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing needs and requirements
- Ability to manage and analyze large volumes of information efficiently, effectively and in a confidential manner
- Highly organized with the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and ability to work with employees at all levels.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as in a team environment.
- Competencies include: accuracy and attention to detail, customer service skills, ability to manage information, problem solving and financial management and accountability.
- Bilingualism is an asset.
- Secret Security Clearance (current clearance or ability to obtain secret level)
- Must be able to work flexible work hours to meet deadlines and to respond in emergency situations