Title: System Administrator
Reporting to: Team Lead, Customer Support Engineer
Roles and Responsibilities:
Operation and Support
- Subject Matter Expert for all support activities related to Windows Active Directory (AD) infrastructure in ID Systems.
- Provide Tier I, II and III support to CBN customers within contractual SLAs.
- Troubleshoot system, networking and storage issues, in many cases under very tight SLAs.
- Use internal service desk ticketing system to track, resolve and escalate support incidents or service requests.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs, such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible security issues.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures.
- Management of user accounts per request.
- Coordinate and communicate with impacted clients.
- Apply OS, firmware, hypervisor and software patches and upgrades on a regular basis.
- Upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Add and configure new and existing services following approved guidelines and deployment plans.
- Upgrade and configure ID Systems software and patches taking in consideration project and operational guidelines.
- Maintain configuration and operational documentation.
- Maintain system baseline following project requirements.
- Forecast and plan for scalability, performance and capacity requirements
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Create, modify and implement deployment plans.
- Design, plan, install, configure and document new and existing server hardware, hypervisors, operating systems, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Typically requires bachelor's degree in Computer Sciences, Engineering or equivalent.
- At least seven years of experience supporting operational Windows Active Directory in heterogeneous environment (Unix and Windows Systems). Manage AD permissions and Trust relationships. Manage Forest/Domain/OU/User Object management. Perform systems analysis and tuning to insure optimal Microsoft AD infrastructure response for multi-user and multi-site environments. Design, plan, configure, administer and troubleshoot Microsoft Windows AD/OS environments.
- Extensive knowledge and experience managing:
- Windows Server Update Services
- Experience in one or more of the following systems:
- Apache HTTP Web Server in combination with Tomcat
- Single Sign-On Systems (SSO)
- Antivirus and endpoint protection platform
- Client Management Tools
- Imaging Enterprise Software
- Operational experience of a SAN platforms
- Understanding and operational experience with Disaster Recovery Planning and Business Continuity Planning
- Experience documenting system configuration
- Knowledge of Canadian Government Regulations governing the use of computer systems and operational security standards, such as (i.e. Management of Information Technology Security (MITS))
- Successful candidates must qualify for or possess a valid Canadian security clearance (Secret Level 2)
- Industry certifications an asset, especially MCSE, LPI, ITIL
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English. French is an asset.
- Required to work at multiple sites.
- Participate 24x7 on call rotation.
- May be required to work evenings and weekends, sometimes without an advanced notice.
- Eligible to travel internationally to client sites, in some cases up to 3 weeks at a time.
- Essential and marginal functions may require moderate to light lifting and movement of heavy IT equipment.