Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
To provide technical design for all systems from opportunity phase to post commissioning phase to ensure systems are supportable and meet contractual obligations while achieving operational excellence.
Roles and Responsibilities include:
- Create high-level system designs to meet non-functional requirements including supportability, extensibility, performance, security, and availability. Select the best mix of COTS and custom components to meet business objectives.
- Participate in project definition, project planning and project execution phases to ensure the system architecture is supportable and will meet contractual service levels.
- Support the System Estimation and Proposal Writing processes by developing network and system architecture, associated equipment lists and write ups.
- Collect and promote best practices for hardware, software, and network architecture. Assist the development, and support teams in adopting practices and technologies relevant to their projects. Assist team leads in auditing compliance to selected practices.
- Evaluate new technologies. Liaise with the Research and Development department to drive architectural research projects.
- Assist in the selection of hardware and networking components for new systems and system upgrades.
- Review change requests to ensure proposed changes are consistent with the architecture of the system.
- Assist the support team in root-cause analysis of support incidents. Ensure results are taken into consideration during the design process for future projects.
- Assist development and support teams in deploying systems as required. Lead efforts to diagnose performance and availability issues.
- May participate in the installation, configuration and troubleshooting of Public Key Infrastructure technologies
- May participate in software development activities related to the development and support of projects
- May require training customer personnel on hardware and network solutions
- At least 8 years as a professional software developer, systems architect or support engineer.
- An understanding of Java, .NET, web services, service-oriented architecture, public-key infrastructure, Linux, Windows, TCP/IP, Ethernet, storage area networks, relational databases, and IT security is required.
- Fluency with troubleshooting and analysis tools including packet captures, proxies, and system call tracers.
- Post-secondary school education in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent degree.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate technical solutions with clients.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Must qualify for or possess a valid security clearance (secret).
- French and Spanish communication skills.
- Familiarity with Canadian and US federal information processing standards including ITSG-22 and FIPS 140.
- Professional experience with electronic travel document standards.
- Familiarity with identification card, biometric data capture, and border control systems.